Monday, February 26, 2007

L'eucalyptus

Once upon a time, there was a little town drenched with sunshine. The trees grew tall and luxurious, fragrant flowers were in abundance. Every morning, at dawn, a rooster sang in a garden across the street. The town was bordered by the bluest sea in the world and high mountains lined the horizon on clear days.

The little girl went to a small all-girl primary school. She loved it passionately, because it took her away from the chaos of home. This was her world only, and in her world, she was a gifted student, the teacher’s pet, never lacked friends, learned with inextinguishable eagerness.

When she was eight or nine years old, her best friend was called MC. They were friends for less than a year, before circumstances separated them. Then the little girl went to high school, changed country, changed continent, became a big girl, and still kept drifting all over the place. The memory of MC, of her small school, of the small town drenched in sunshine became so distant it felt like another lifetime. She didn't think this past would ever manifest itself again other than in her mind and her dreams.


When this man called me last week, I thought it was a call from the past. I was mistaken; it was nothing but a rehearsal.
Thursday night came my true call from the past. With no warning whatsoever, MC called me from France. I don't know how she tracked me down. We had never kept in touch. How stunned I was can perhaps only be understood by my brother.

"This is another lifetime calling. Another world. Another dimension: the past."

We talked for about fifteen minutes. She hinted at very dark things in her life and I didn't pry: there would be time for it yet.

I had been someone very special in her life, back then, and she had never forgotten me. In a few simple words, she told me what I represented for her, why I had such an impact, and I was touched and moved but still dumbstruck.

We ended on promises of snail mail, for she doesn't have an email, to catch up with basically what is almost all our lives. I haven't started my letter yet. I'm still struggling to update my Weltanschauung.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Effectivement, j'apprecie totallement... Wow. Vive l'internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what you carry with you is a little bit of everyone you have met. Some good, hopefully stays to repeat itself and some bad, hopefully is kept in that little locked up corner, to remind yourself what not to be. You clearly have had a significant impact on her life...

    ReplyDelete