Saturday, October 21, 2006

A very weird experience

That day I went to give blood. It was the first time in three years that my iron level was high enough for them to accept me! They usually turn me away with a "thanks but no thanks".

That night I had my usual workouts, boot camp followed by spinning. About 30 minutes into spinning, I took a sip of water then somehow missed the bottle holder on the bike. The bottle fell to the floor. I stopped pedaling, got off the bike and picked it up. The rest is black. When I opened my eyes next, there seemed to be a huge crowd around me. I was lying down. My instructor's face was the only one I recognized. It seemed a mile away but a second later reappeared to my left, very close. Apparently, I spoke a little, apparently my pulse was over 200 for a while, with goose-bumps and muscular tremors. (The guy spinning behind me turned out to be a doctor, how convenient is that?). In fact I instantly had a doctor, a nurse and a cop looking after me, all in my spinning class! After a little while, the doc pronounced my pulse to be ok and I was allowed to sit up. In my hands, I had the instructor's towel and no idea how it had gotten there. Then I stood up, wildly embarrassed at being the center of the whole room's attention.

I have a very painful bump on my right temple and a cut and a black bruise where my mouth hit the side of a bike. It looks a bit like a half-mustache. I look very sexy with a half-mustache maybe I should grow one.

After scaring everyone, I will be the butt of affectionate teasing for a good while in that class.

Lesson of the day: It is not recommended to work out hard on days you give blood :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 AM

    Well, well, I am worried now. Maybe you should slow things down a little, shoudn't you??
    What happened to you is not something trivial...Maybe YOU ARE tired.
    I know I'm not your mum, or even family, but come on Bridge, take it easy for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    I had a friend who passed out at a party. Fell flat on his face and broke his two front teeth. I never understood why he didn't break his nose. Anyway, consider yourself lucky you only got a half-mustache...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Aww, Angel you're sweet but believe me I'm a strong, healthy horse. I just thought it was interesting because I'm so highly trained in first aid but being on the other end is a totally different experience.
    Besides, my legal notice says in very small letters that it is strictly forbiden to worry about me (somewhere down the bottom)...
    Don't worry, girlfriend, but thanks for being so

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Okay, tough girl..I'll try not to worry..Or just a tiny bit, okay??!! Because, you know what? Support and caring are right around the corner sometimes.

    ReplyDelete