Sunday, October 15, 2006

One airplane

I watched United 93 yesterday. I had mixed feelings about watching it. I’m in a video store looking to pick-up entertainment. If I take that, does it reduce it to entertainment? But I read that it was a sober piece, shot in an almost documentary style. I knew it would be hard to watch. In the end, I think being willing to relive horrible moments as I watch is my tribute to the people who died. It’s not closing my eyes, shying away, ignoring the disturbing reality.

It is indeed an excellent piece. It caught the ambiance of a flight so well, the routine, the boredom. It reminded me that you NEVER know when your life can change or end. It struck me how all the people about to die had only one thing to say: “I love you” “Tell them I love them”. Just like the text message the teenage girl sent her parents before being killed, recently. It is worth considering. Whatever love is, it appears to be the only crucial thing to us when we’re about to leave.
The last shot is the ground jumping up at the camera and then the screen goes black for what felt like several minutes. For these people, the fear, the pain, the panic, the heartbreak was over. Life was over.

I did watch it as a documentary. I think what kills so many people in catastrophes is that we are not prepared mentally for our world turning upside down. Short of doing catastrophes drills, seeing what really happens in case of highjacks, of hurricanes, of floods may be the best exposure we can have in order not to be totally helpless should it ever happen to us.

It was hard to watch but perhaps it is owed to the victims of United 93.

No comments:

Post a Comment