Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Yo! Ho!...and a bottle of rhum!

This morning, I had a dream I have chronically. I hear an airplane and I look up to see not one airplane but a sky full of them, different aircrafts flying in formation. We're going to war or we're being invaded, either way, the meaning is the same: imminent doom. I know I have to get to my loved ones quickly and they're usually all over the place. This morning my brother was with me, but my mother wasn't answering the phone in France and I couldn't find my son. The anguish and urgency are overwhelming. Then I wake up, frazzled.
Who needs movies when you can live this suspense and horror in the comfort of your own bed?

There's a man on the train...early forties, clean cut, rather good looking short man. Non-descript, really, because on my train, people dress well, smell good, read Dan Brown and talk about the office. There could be a banner on the train that says: "Well-to-do, suburban home owners and career white people only".
This man carries around a half-size bottle of brown rhum and takes one to three casual sips from it during the fourty minutes train commute. He does that on the 16h30 train. I have yet to find out if he does it on the morning train as well. His friends seem to consider it as normal as if it were a bottle of water and he himself is terribly casual, never furtive in his movements. He just pulls out his rhum, deep in conversation, takes a small sip and puts it back in his leather coat…I cannot explain how odd and out of place.
I take a minute to think about all it implies…and I shiver.

Fatso is coming around to Loukhi beautifully. Grumpy still has some way to go… Two more work days!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Funny, I have a nightmare about airplanes too. I look up and there's an airplane flying overhead! ;-)

    What? That's it. That's the nightmare. Why? Because I'm down here and I should be up there on the flight deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Ok I have another recurring dream where I witness a plane crash. i could put you in the cockpit and turn it into a nightmare...
    And don't even get me started on my sharks an killer whales nightmares...

    ReplyDelete