Thursday, December 07, 2006

Flowers for Algernon

My boss volunteered me on the organizing committee of the other seminar, as I mentioned before. I wasn't too sure why at first but it no longer matters because I realize I truly enjoy that type of work. I'll have to thank her.

There are two committees, one Anglophone and one Francophone, organizing a joint event and I see how privileged I am to be equally at ease in both languages and with both cultures because the language barrier is really a substantial one. I think I'm helping by being sort of the friendly link between the two groups. Otherwise, it could be quite awkward at times.

I think it will be yet another wonderful human dynamics observation laboratory for me. I'm fascinated by groups dynamics, if I didn't mention it often enough.

In this case, I'm often finding myself itching to step in and take the lead, something I tend to do spontaneously in a group when there's no other clear leader. But I must not, so my challenge will be to do it so subtly, when really needed, that no one realizes it yet it still gets us back to moving ahead (instead of backwards or in circles). I guess the divemaster in me dies hard.

How beautiful are the Christmas lights on homes everywhere? If I had a tripod for long exposures and my brother's patience, I'd go around and take pictures of the neighborhood. There are several huge Christmas trees about 25 feet high, in people's front yards, all lighted up. They're a sight to behold. The new trend, this year, is blue lights. It looks nice, but not very Christmassy, I find. (A new trend IS lights or ARE lights? And how do I spell Christmassy? Too late for them existential questions)

A new short session has started in spinning this week and the class was full tonight. I totally dislike full classes. Hopefully, they'll feel like death and drop out, héhé.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:50 PM

    P.S. please if you get a chanse put some flowrs on Algernons grave in the bak yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my way of saying I'm just as much a lab rat under observation as the people I observe, and very aware of it.

    ReplyDelete