Monday, December 11, 2006

The World According to L. Ron Hubbard

For the second and most likely the last time, I tried reading Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard's bible for Scientology. My motivation was the same as when I read Mein Kampf: bring an open mind to try and understand a phenomenon.

Once again, it took about twenty pages before I had to put it down. I read from a few random places further in the book, just in case it improved. It doesn't. Even if Hubbard's style was not oddly disjointed and his language hermetic, his many assertions are just poposterous*. I don't see how anybody can buy that, it's just plain ludicrous to me. So I once again failed to understand how seemingly reasonably intelligent people can convert to the baseless inventions of a science-fiction writer.

This was my literature review of the week. I'm lacking good books that I haven't read four times already. Santa?

* Old joke from a previous post

A propos of nothing, I am glad to let you know that before the general outcry, the editor who proposed to publish OJ Simpson "If I did it " book backpedalled and cancelled the whole thing. And a good thing too!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:58 AM

    Yes, but. His mission, should he have chosen to accept it, was to convert to Scientology. He did. The message self-destructed 5 seconds later... ;-)

    ReplyDelete