Wednesday, August 30, 2006

You

For the zillion time, blogs are self-centered. Me, myself, I, my point of view and my belly button, I'm all a happy disfunctional family.

But as a blog writer, there is a huge other entity involved. The Reader. The mythical, elusive Reader.

I think my readers fall into three categories:
There are my regulars, Vince, Jeno, Sam, Phil, Angel. They read me because they care *insert a warm, fuzzy feeling here*. They are my faithful, the temple of my familiar.

There are the onetimers, who stumble upon my blog by chance and leave it never to return, blown away by the fickle cyberly wind.

And then, there are "the Others" (do I sound like LOST yet?). They are my mysterious visitors. Sometimes occasional, sometimes regular, they haunt my blog and I don't know who they -you- are. Do you know me? Do I know you? Why do you read me? I know you exist because the numbers are there.

It's strange. I think I'm a generally speaking rather interesting person, but my blog is so personal that I fail to see what anybody who's not close to me can get out of it. I don't suppose I'll ever know, because my ghostreaders will remain ghosts.

Well, I'm waving at you, my regulars and my ghostreaders. If you weren't there, I'd still write my blog...but it wouldn't be quite the same. Once in a while, I get an email that says "I really enjoy your blog" and it is extremely gratifying.

The world is interactive. I'm reaching out. Take my hand anytime.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I read you 'cause I like your sense of humor and I'm always in awe of the range of things you talk about. I mean we can't pigeonhole you in one category: you exercize a lot, you follow the news, you bring up a son, you watch movies, you find articles on the most diverse et crazy subjects, you seem to have such a wide range of interests, I always wonder how you find the time to keep up with so many things. And even the mundane details, I just enjoy the way you portrait them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog. Then again, I also really like peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. And broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog because you make me laugh, you write well, your interest in so many different issues/things/questions/life in general fascinates me, and you read me back...hmmm...
    Why do YOU read MY blog? *wink*
    Cheers, B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Is this a "why I read your blog" trend? I read your blog 'cause it makes me look cool at work to say I have a friend who blogs. Wait, is that too shallow?
    Oh yeah, and that care thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:39 AM

    I'm just so glad and proud and honoured and flaaterd to be part of the 'family'!!!! Am I too enthusiastic??!!Maybe...but it doesn't matter!!
    You rock sister!! :-))

    ReplyDelete