Friday, May 19, 2006

Antibes, ville des sports, ville des fleurs


This is the city where I grew up by the Mediterranée, the bluest of seas, with the pré-Alpes lining the horizon. Monet made several paintings of this magical area. This one is called: Antibes seen from La Salis.

I returned only once since I left, but even if I never go there again, it’s all right. I don’t need to, because it is with me everywhere I go, etched within me. In fact, should I ever get a tattoo, that’s probably what it will say: ANTIBES.
(That or RAMBO FOREVER I’m not sure yet.)

And this is La Salis, the beach where I learned to swim, where we spent every summer, a thirty minutes walk from home, where I first learn to use mask and fins (except the mask was called a "hublot" literally "porthole"). AW the memories.


Photo: Vince, my childhood other half

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Hmmm...'Rambo for ever'..Let me think...:-)))
    Funny how childhood strikes back from time to time. And nostalgia, and memories, and people, and places...
    Oh Jesus! C'est la madeleine de Proust.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:37 PM

    Antibes, l'arrière-pays, la Côte
    d'Azur, tout le sud de la France
    et puis l'ouest, et puis la divine
    providence, oh pardon, Provence,
    all is a lost paradise. Because the country has changed, people have changed, but mostly because we have changed. Impossible to go back ? Yes. Impossible to come back ? No.

    ReplyDelete