Tuesday, September 05, 2006

So long, mate

Yes, I too am saddened by the death of Steve Irwin. The man played with dangerous animals all the time and was killed by a peaceful stingray. Tell me there is no such thing as fate…
I mean try and find statistics on death by stingrays…must be about equal to death by moray eels…RARE, unusual, unlucky, atypical.
The Sydney Morning Herald has compared the public impact of his death to that of Princess Diana (well, for the Australian population obviously), and I see a parallel too in the sense that I felt the same sense of wonder. There are some people you simply don’t associate with death and drama. I remember thinking: “Diana?? Dead??” and yesterday, I thought “Steve Irwin?? Dead??”
He was not without controversy but I am sorry for his death.

I wonder if it’s going to affect Stingray City. Hell I don’t even know if Stingray City survived Jeanne…Sadly out of touch, I am.

Photo: Stephen Frink

3 comments:

  1. I was a fan of The Crocodile Hunter and was shocked and saddened to hear of his death on the news yesterday. I went ahead and put a memorial entry about him on my blog as well. Apparently there are a lot of fans in the blogosphere judging by all the entries about him that I've read today. I wish I could have met him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Hmm, with all due respect, I think you meant bloody hurricane Ivan, for Stingray City...

    Well, I believe that right after the storm, the sandbar was pretty much obliterated. Flying over the North Sound, you could see much deeper water there. You might remember our dive boat Banana Wind had been tossed up upside down on a beach; I drove her back to Little Cayman about a month after the hurricane and passed by Stingray city, which was deserted of course.

    But I've heard the stinrays eventually came back and the sand bar reformed... I'll ask Marc down there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Ivan, Jeanne, one of them, ya know...

    ReplyDelete