Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The colour of certainty

I was looking forward to my workout last night, thinking it would be good to sweat out the stress and anger. The first hour went well, as always, even though during excruciating squats I swear I could hear the muscle fibers tearing one by one. Then came my Nemesis...the spinning. I followed the instructor for the first 25 to 30 minutes, then stopped following and just kept vaguely moving. With about three minutes to go in the 50 minutes session, things suddenly deteriorated at the speed of light. In slow motion I thought "Oh shit", I got off my bike, headed for the lockers, thank god for having a towel in my hands, and barely, barely made it to the washroom. The last time I was this violently sick was nine years ago, when the first contractions announced that Yannick was on his way out.
Vince, Jeno, anybody who's used to training hard, help!
Since my motto was "Dont throw up. Don't pass out." am I going to pass out next? With my feet firmly strapped to the pedals, that could spell disaster.
Then I went home to a sleepless night.

The colour of certainty...how evocative a phrase isn't it? If certainty existed, what colour would it be?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:13 PM

    Hmm, too much chocolate, or cheese fondue excess?

    No seriously, how about simple overtraining? I think that unless you are training for the Olympics, passing out on the bike might be going a little far. The lesson to learn here could be... your present limts?

    I do remember getting sick like that for the same reason, but it's only happened to me in the water; either, way back then when training for the ITC and doing towing simulation laps, or more recently doing strenuous underwater work. I concluded in both situations that it was induced by a combination of poor oxygenation/excess CO2 i.e. bad breathing patterns, and heavy exercise.

    Hope that can be of any help...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince is right. It's too much all at once, and all at a high intensity. Rest is an important part of training, too. Good music isn't only about the notes... it's also about the silence between them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find a solution for the throwing up...eech. That sucks.

    If certainty was a colour, I think it would be gold or silver. You know, how would 'You are fucking funny' look written black on white? Bland. Blah. Ordinary. Vulgar. And now think of it again, close your eyes and envision this with me now, but written in gold or silver letters on...black or whatever. Ah! Nice. Colour of certainty. Just makes whatever statement look more official. Kind of like a certificate, which is certainty you've achieved something. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete