Thursday, June 01, 2006

The end of today as we know it

In the news, some are comparing the killing in Haditha, Iraq, to the My Lai massacre. If it should turn out to be similar, it would be very sad indeed. My Lai was not only shameful for what took place in the village but also for the absolute impunity that sheltered the perpretators. Soldiers from any country WILL act as beasts if given a chance. I don't know if it is avoidable, however I believe they should be held accountable for it. If Haditha turns out like My Lai, no one will suffer any sanction worst than a slap on the wrist for killing innocent civilians. I hope that's not what happens.

So, how much fun is social interaction with loved ones? It is sometimes rewarding. And often difficult as hell, and complex and frustrating and angering. Can you sense my frustration and anger? Y'all are so perceptive! Give yourself a big hug for being so clever.

What I'm reading: Marie-Antoinette, by Simone Bertière, my second Marie-Antoinette biography but not my favorite one. The more I read about her, the more the sad truth seems to be that she was only a spoiled air-head. Sort of like Jenna Morasca. It really diminishes my interest in her (I should read Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun's Mémoires instead).
From what I hear, Coppola's film about her is equally shallow and frivolous. Disappointing if true, I trusted Sophia to dig a little deeper!



No comments:

Post a Comment