Thursday, June 29, 2006

Anarchy or Utopia?

So what do we do with an aborted seaside vacation?

This week has been declared Vacation Week. Next week I go back to work and Yannick starts summer camp. This week is our Freedom Week, meaning most of the rules are on vacation as well.
Yannick is allowed to stay on the computer until his brains liquefy. Housecleaning is kept to a bare minimum. Showers and baths are suggested but not mandatory. Food is mostly healthy but meal times are optional. Naps are encouraged. Reading becomes a main activity. Every morning there is a lounge-around lesson from the cats. Dress code goes from mostly nudity (Yannick) to T-shirt and shorts (me). Lopez' "Let's get loud" cranks through the house. Physical activity is purely discretionary, which means Yannick does none and I take one or two classes a day. Bed time has become flexible.

I'm not sure it is a great idea and I'm not sure how much resistance I will meet when the rules are reinstated. But in the meantime, everybody being free to do what they want, never has the house been so harmonious and so free of conflict. Oh well, a week out of fifty-two, why the hell not?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Sounds greaaaat!...Can I come?
    I surely could use a 'Freedom week' and a 'no rules' timetable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 PM

    Sure! Bear in mind, there's no coddling to the guests, total freedom applies to them too...

    ReplyDelete