Friday, June 02, 2006

Cas raté

My son, after five months of karate, has decided I ought to do some as well.  He probably came up with that conclusion because Im proficient in each sport he tried before, tennis, swimming, horse-back riding etc. Hes sort of used to mom being good at it, whatever it is, so with karate, Im sadly behind.

Karate? I raised my left eyebrow, assumed my most reasonable motherly tone and said.: Well sonWhy not?

Two days later I was signed up. Now, my sons school, Yoseikan Budo, breaks for summer. Since I wanted to get some basics under my belt (get it?) I signed up with what was available, Kiokushin. My sources indicate that Kiokushin is the most violent and full contact of karates methods and that is not necessarily what appeals to me. But like I always say, Ill try everything once. The training is supposed to be hard so it can only do me good. If I hate it, Ill fold my karate-gi until fall and wait for my sons school to re-open.

This being my very first incursion into that world, Im very curious, and I very much intend to cast a keen/satirical eye about me. If theres any material for the blog, you can be sure youll hear all about it. Karate, as taught in North America, as practiced in small suburban schools, as seen by a gaijin…


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:09 PM

    I'm sure you'll look lovely in black and blue bruises...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of taking up billiards and croquet - not so exciting but a lot safer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:46 PM

    three cheers for a very brave mother !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:10 PM

    Believe me, if "I" took up billiard and croquet, no one would be safe in a 100 meters radius... they'd probably introduce the wear of helmets for those two activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:16 AM

    Oh, My God!! You're so brave!! I know a mum is supposed to do everything for her kids, but... KARATE!! Woow... And for what it's worth, I'm sure you'll be good at it! Don't know why, i feel you're a winner! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:13 AM

    "...everybody was kung-fu fighting, fast as lightning..." Well done!

    ReplyDelete