Thursday, May 03, 2007

In The City

As someone pointed out to me before, pedestrians in Montreal are extremely rude. They don't know the crowded city pedestrian trick of yielding a shoulder when passing by someone. They walk on, at their own pace and in their own path, oblivious to the world around them. Being the very polite person that I am, I am normally the one yielding constantly. Not anymore. With the new job, I have a total of three minutes to spare to catch my train, a buffer zone I'm very uncomfortable with. So on my way back, during the rush hour in the endless corridors of the subway and the train station, I walk fast and with a purpose. For once, it is useful to be 5'10" and built like a wardrobe. My body language says, in no uncertain terms: "Get out of my way or we will collide!" and amazingly, male and female suddenly yield before me. It's still not out of civility, it's out of fear of impact. I don't care. I've been the lone civil one long enough. Get out of my f*** way.

I've heard some of my superiors are "looking into" finding a place closer to home for me to work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, gnashing my teeth and binding my time. I won't get into the details but you wouldn't believe the impact of the new job on my daily schedule. Bad call on my part, even though the job itself is far from unpleasant.

I haven't found any kindred souls yet in the new office, although everybody is extremely friendly. We're too busy to socialize much anyway.

Not much else to report on.

No comments:

Post a Comment