Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Avoid, they say

Two days left to this unfortunate week. I cannot wait for it to be over yet two days can drag on.
I'd rather look forward to next week, when I hope to be pain-free, able to exercise again, and when several events of interest should take place.

I had a talk with my son about bullies today. I had to go and do some research first because I had not a clue as to what to tell him. I served him the menu set out by psychologists and educators. Essentially, stay away, ignore, avoid, don't react. Avoidance, avoidance, avoidance. They know best, I'm sure, but how unsatisfying!

My first impulse is to tell him to smash his fist in the bully's face, that it will check his jeers for a while. But I know a Zidane is not the solution, and only encourages an escalation of violence.

My son is an ideal target because his fuse is extremely short. What a treat for bullies. So learning to control his temper and master his emotion in order to pretend indifference might be useful for him.

Still, I can understand Zidane: what about the provocator, the one who taunts, teases, pushes and makes life hell for someone else? How about taking measures against HIM?

There are days when I wouldn't mind putting the fear of god into a few bullies myself. And if that's not very feminine, try being a mother and father at the same time! But I cannot fight my son's battles for him and he must learn to deal with everything life dishes at him. Only, I'm here as a back-up, and by gosh, the day he needs one, forget the Karate Kid, it will be KARATE MOM!

Figuratively speaking of course.

3 comments: