Monday, January 08, 2007

Why I'm glad I've no Y

Girls are wonderful. Girls talk about anything, including "feelings" and "personal life". That's the way they relate and bond with each other.

I had a conversation with a male friend who basically demonstrated how his absence of tact and empathy were really caused by his deep unease towards anything that has to do with feelings. It's not that he is heartless, it's that emotions make him so damn uncomfortable that he'll take any way out rather than have to deal with them. And often, even though he's an intelligent being, his way out will leaves much to desire. Ok, granted, he's a bit of an extreme case, thank god.

Then take my latest conversation with my hairdresser. Anybody who's familiar with the length of my hair knows that my hairdresser is not my bosom friend. I've seen her twice in the past year and a half and I didn't know her before that. We started chatting while she fought with my hair and before I knew it, I was asking her very personal, direct questions to which she was giving very personal, direct answers. She was a near-total stranger. By the time my hair was dry (two hours later), I knew that she was about to leave her husband, that she had taken a lover, that that was a lot to manage. She knew about TLM and that I had never cheated on my husband. I suppose guys will laugh at that. But we were sharing, we were relating to each other and we felt like friends when we parted. It was not gossip at all. It was two women close in age comparing experiences. It felt so good!

I find it so rewarding to talk about the real stuff instead of having to skirt and thread lightly around issues because men are not comfortable talking about them!

I'm just glad I'm a girl.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:49 AM

    Well, well, what's with your hair??
    :-)

    ReplyDelete