Saturday, April 22, 2006

Movie review: Elisabethtown

I'm not that great with fathers dying and urns of ashes. Been there, done that, and it's nothing like this sickeningly sweet movie.
There are no free spirited, pretty, skinny girls who have all the answers. Even though, when I look at films such as this, and and Garden State and Keeping the Faith, it seems to be one of guys' great fantasy.
You try holding your father on your knees in an urn. It may be a life-changing moment but an uplifting, spiritual and emotional catharsis, it is not.
The only thing I liked about Elisabethtown was a very real feeling for what American life can be like. I went to Mississippi, hated it at first, and then was won over by the very real and genuine warmth of its people, just like Louisville. God Bless some Americans.

So I went and picked up my son from my bed. He was all warm and limp. He was sound asleep and so heavy now that it’s hard to lift him.
“Mommy, thank you” he mumbled as I tucked him into his own bed.
What else is there?
Good night every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment