Friday, April 07, 2006

Living in harmony

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine, a somewhat known director, was approached to do a commercial for the Armed Forces. I have to mention that directors are VERY well paid for shooting commercials and the competition is usually fierce.
In that case however, my friend declined, because he didn’t want to do a commercial that would glorify the Army and could actually influence a kid into signing up.
I never forgot it.

Recently, my brother mentionned how, while looking for a job, he had turned down a couple of very lucrative ones because they were in fields that didn’t match his beliefs and philosophy (oil industry, forestry etc…) I wondered if I would have had the strenght to decline an interesting salary…

Now I’ve gone and entered a work-related competition…for another department which I can’t name. I have reasons to find this particular assignment very interesting for me, in several different ways. However, I have ethical reserves with that department. Nothing clear cut. There are parts of it I really like…but on the whole, it’s not a department I…endorse? I have very mixed feelings about it. So , I can’t help but wonder : do I WANT to work for a department I have some reservations about?

My brother told me that to live in harmony with your own ethics is to live with peace in your heart. I wonder where I stand…I hate when I don’t know my own mind, which sadly happens way too regularly.

Of course, the competition is FAR from a granted. My chances are actually not that great. But I figured I should know my own mind before the process goes on. I think Life will decide and thus convey the message. But don’t we have Free Will?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:51 PM

    Hehe, I'm not sure life decides; I think we do, mostly (see my previous pompous theory of Life as a tree... ;-)

    Any way, you make me sound like a saint for turning down a lucrative job that went against my principles. In fact, it was more like deciding not to pursue that avenue, but I didn't have an offer yet. I'm not that good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You're not a saint?
    I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:34 PM

    at my age, it's easy to chose between money and ethics. At your
    age, much harder. There is a lot more to deal with. I admire you both : you have a brain and a heart
    and you use them, whatever issue prevails. You help me believe that human beings are not only rotten : they can be magnificent.

    ReplyDelete