Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Weight of Christmas

But you've got to lose
The weight of the wind
Hard on your shoulders
Getting you down
-A-HA-



Thoughts are swirling in my head like snow on a windy road. Words come up. Loneliness. Social stigma. Expectations. Christmas. Pressure.
I've been reflecting on loneliness. How it's become something to be ashamed of, because if you are popular and busy and worthy, you have an endless social life and you're never lonely.
Being single, being old, not having many friends, not having a close family circle, all of those are symptoms of a failure. Your failure. Popular culture glamourizes sociability. Admitting to loneliness has become difficult. It's like revealing how truly flawed you are.
At Christmas time, the pressure doubles. It's a time to spend with family anf friends AND to be merry and joyful. Or else.
What if you don't feel joyful? What if you are mourning, you are sad, you are alone and/or lonely?
"What are you doing for Christmas?"
Try saying: "Actually I'm all alone, I won't get a single present and I expect I'll have a good cry".
See the shock on people's face, not sympathy but actual shock. Like you've broken a taboo.



This year, I'm not playing along. This year, I'm going to pick and choose which society's standards I'll adhere to, or at least I'm going to review them instead of accepting them all blindly.
-This is what society expects: do I agree/ want it/ follow it/ endorse it/ play along? Or do I step aside and decide: "I shall pass on this one."
The price to pay will be to be considered odd, to be judged by the uncomprehending said society.
The reward will be to know that I think for myself.

Yeah, nothing like setting up goals, right?
Merry Christmas Everybody!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. No, I don't particularly feel lonely. It all came from REFLECTING about loneliness. Before everybody jumps to the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Knowing you well, I can understand your position and endorse it.Quite completely. Almost.... :-)

    ReplyDelete