Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Atonement

Movies rushing from theatres to DVD faster and faster, I rented Atonement last night a mere two months after it was last on the big screen.. Here's my take on it.

The cinematography was exquisite, as was the cast, with one exception, which I will complain about further down.

James McAvoy: I discovered him in "The Last King of Scotland" and could never understand that Forrest Whitaker was nominated for an Oscar while McAvoy was not even acknowledged. McAvoy was wonderful in Last King, as he is in Atonement. I proclaim him the best actor of his generation, conveying an array of emotions without even opening his mouth in a way famous stars like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise can only dream about. McAvoy, I salute you.



Keira Knightley: I saw her in "Pirates", and enjoyed her in the delightful "Sense and Sensibility". In Atonement, I must admit that my attention was totally distracted away from her acting by her absence of breasts. The lady is flat. She's like a walking advertisement for double mastectomy. As delightful as she was in her long, flowing, glamorous green dress, the minute she turned sideways, something didn't look right. Since I am a heterosexual woman, when I'm completely distracted by the absence of breasts of an individual, it gives you an idea about how blatant it is. Don't get me wrong, I am GLAD that British movies do not feel they have to adhere to American standards of every lead actress being physically perfect… and totally stereotyped. But but but… ask me how was Knightley in that movie, that will be my only answer: flat!



As for Briony, ah ha, Briony! She's played by two actresses, one when she is thirteen, the other when she is eighteen. The thirteen year-old is all ethereal, marvellous elfin grace, with long brittle limbs and a ravishing pointed face, emphasised by only dressing in white. She's delightful to watch, even when we can't like what she's doing.




The eighteen year-old, however, is where casting suddenly took a bad turn. The elfin pixie suddenly metamorphoses into a graceless blonde with marked features and a sullen expression. You vainly look for the magic that was in the younger girl. The older Brionny has no charm, no beauty, no expression, not much at all, really, except round blue eyes. It's like going from sips of Ambrosia to a prosaic plate of hamburger and fries. A dull awakening.

Overall, Wright's movie exudes once again an old fashion charm that I can't resist. The photography alone is worth seeing. I enjoyed it very much.

3 comments:

  1. Very entertaining to read Brig, the Movie Reviewer. You're good at it. More! More!
    I shall go against everything else I heard about Atonement, and give it a chance. And also because, I must admit, I heard the book was astonishing.
    VoilĂ .

    Cheers, B!

    - Miss C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Oh.
    And also because your review included the words "exquisite", "proclaim", "blatant", "ethereal", "elfin" and "pixie".

    All delightful words which caught my attention. Yum.

    Bises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, let me know what you think!
    XX

    ReplyDelete