Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Alternate Realm

Books, said my brother. Aaaah, books. Yes they take a lot of room. Not everyone can afford a basement to line the walls with bookshelves. I might not have that luxury much longer.


Ze Library

At supper time, our house is probably the only house where you can find 3 generations eating in perfect silence, each engrossed in its own book. And perfectly happy, I might add.

My son, who is not yet eleven has so far devoured: All the Harry Potters; All the Chronicles of Narnia; The complete Lord of the Rings; Philip Pullman's His Dark Material, Watership Down, and the classic A.S. Neil, Le nuage vert.

Not bad. Next I'm getting him The Neverending Story.

Meanwhile, the snow is finally GONE! Flowers bravely open up, leading the way for the rest of the flora.


Brave New World

As always in the Spring, Love is in the air. For everyone but me.

Till death do us part

Finally, this is what happens when you're fat: you overflow.

3 comments:

  1. Watership Down! Yes, that's wonderful...Does he know about Gerald Durrell's memoirs about Corfu: animals, plants, his crazy family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err... no, since he's unknown to me as well... Good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so...he has a more famous literary brother, Lawrence Durrell...Gerald Durrell writes very funnily, and well, about a charmed childhood in Greece, about his passion for animals and about his eccentric family. It's probably quite dated, but still what I would consider classic.

    ReplyDelete