Thursday, June 14, 2007

In My Head

I don't know what thought process led me to that path, but there it was: I realized recently that I was clinging to things. I was cultivating attachment, in the Buddhist sense of the term, with a vague notion that if I hung on hard enough, I'd have some sort of control over loss, or any other outcome.

I realized my hands were clenched so hard around certain things that it would take a pair of pliers to pry my fingers open. And that, my friends, is not good. That is not the way.

So I've started a mental exercise of letting go. I visualize my hands held in front of me, palms up, fingers wide open, and I visualize whatever I'm clinging to in the middle of my palms, free to trickle through my fingers or be swept away by a gust of wind. And it's not easy not to clench my fists.
I want to learn and practice to let go of the outcome. Do my best according to my aspirations then let go of things I cannot control.
TLM: let him go (that's the hardest)
Where I work: let it go
Will my cats get sick and die? Let go.
My house: Let go.

Every thing, every thought, and every person that creates fear or longing in me I want to let go of. Not to reject, but just to give up clinging.

Is that going to turn me into a mere spectator of my own life? If I'm detached from everything, do I stop living in action?

Don't know.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:34 AM

    This sounds tough...
    Don't even know what to say or to recommend...
    I tend to be like you, so, it would be hard for me to say anything! :-)
    Wanna talk bout it?¿

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey B-girl,
    I tend to think letting go will not turn you into a spectator of your own life. It will make you the main actress.

    And if you are detached from it, you do not stop living in action - you stop living in fear/stress.

    I will try your exercise. I think the power of it resides in what you believe it achieves for you.

    Time to get a cup of tea. Bises. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:13 AM

    'Problem is, you have to let go of everything, including the necessity of letting go... ;-)

    Ok, seriously now, it's a beautiful exercise. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete