Monday, January 06, 2014

Underwater Darkness

Photo credit: Dakinediving.com
                                         

For the divers among us:

"(...) Morgan and I believed that the darkest place in the world was underneath an aircraft carrier at night."
Marcus Luttrell, Service: a Navy SEAL at War

Wow! I've never been under an aircraft carrier, thank God, but I've been under ships in low viz and I was breathing VERY hard indeed. Good to know even SEALs can feel fear underwater... There's something about that MASS above you, the unknown below you... Brrrrrrr!!! For all my experience, I've always hated such dives.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, upon reading this a while back, I went digging for some footage of a dive under the Club Med 2 hull in Dominica to remove lines from the horizontal stabilizers.

    Synthetic, almost un-cuttable, and unavoidable for a large ship, they are used for lobster traps in the Caribbean... And while screws will chew them up, our fin-like stabs collected them like trophies.

    But that footage is so bad I gave up. :-)

    ReplyDelete