Friday, July 07, 2006

"Elle est où maman?"

« Mommy is where? »

My son will be nine in September so hes not exactly a duckling anymore. But he likes to have me around. Just so he can burst on me every ten minutes with an inconsequential joke or revelation. Much like I like having the cats around, I suppose. Something to tease, and torture, and give a hard time to, to keep one busy.

But of course, mommy works. And these days, mommy goes back out and works out. My son feels like mommy is away a lot. Not that he would do anything with her if she were around, but he wants her around nevertheless. And by gosh, he most certainly has the right to feel that way.

There goes the concept of cloning. Brigitte model A, the professionnal, earning our keep, working long, devoted hours. Brigitte model B, the mommy, always home to greet her son, home when he gets up, home when he leaves for school, home when he comes back from school, home when he goes to bed, available to take him to every appointment. Brigitte model C, her own woman, who can take care of Brigittes needs for health, exercise, friends, love, hobbies, activities, and her own appointments and errands. Theres enough stuff for each of these clones to be busy full time.

Reality check: Im not cloned. So it often feels, when I book my days: Ok, whos losing out today?

Im not sure whether Brigitte model D, the wife, would split most of the other clones workload or whether it would just add to it. But all I know is that I deal daily with very conflicting needs in very limited time and I simply dont understand why I havent been handed an Honorary MBA in Management yet!

(Yes, all this just to get a dig at McGill University who is clearly just sitting there doing nothing.)

Long live the modern woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment