Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings is part of me, its text so familiar, flashes of it constantly rise in my everyday life.

Here are foreign words which to me, describe something that belongs in LoR.

Padkos: food taken with you while traveling/going on a trip. Literally means “road-food” (Afrikaans).

Lembas is padkos.

Tingo: the act of taking objects one desires from the house of a friend by gradually borrowing all of them (Pascuense).

A typical Hobbit habit.

Hiraeth: homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing, yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness - a homesickness for somewhere you cannot return to, the nostalgia and the grief for the lost places of your past.To feel hiraeth is to experience a deep sense of incompleteness tinged with longing (Welsh).

This is how Frodo felt in the years before he left for the Grey Havens.

Words, but also pictures belong in my Lord of the Rings.


This is a real place, Mount Thor on Baffin Island.

I will add to this post as I come across other inspirations.

4 comments:

  1. Liking this more than your post about retribution (I could not find how to leave a comment on it, guess you reset that?). I hope you think now that killing 100 people to pay for 25 is as awful as it is, because it is awful, hon.

    I volunteer in a shelter where we see the effects of violence, often affecting refugees. You might find such work interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mary. I was actually uneasy with several aspects of my post so I decided to remove it altogether.

      Delete
  2. You're a courageous one, darling. Admitting to possibly being wrong takes guts and humility. You've got both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh Lord of the Rings. Love that you love it as much as I do. I am actually looking for a recipe for lembas bread ;)
    Mount Thor? It does look like the confines of Middle-Earth, perhaps near or nearing Mount Doom...Have you actually been to Baffin Island? That picture is grand...

    ReplyDelete